Administrative & Staff Vedder Careers
Vedder Price’s administrative team oversees the capabilities necessary for us to deliver responsive, results-oriented and cost-effective client services.
If you would like to apply to Vedder Price, please submit your resume to:
222 North LaSalle Street
Chicago, Illinois 60601
Fax: +1 (312) 609 5005
Careers & Open Positions
Billing Coordinator is primarily responsible for ensuring accurate, timely and adequately-detailed client billing by supporting assigned attorneys with client accounts. This is a hands-on position that involves working independently and proactively on all aspects of the day-to-day billing with all offices.
- Review and bill attorney hours and disbursements to clients
- Review and edit proformas in response to attorney and secretary requests
- Apply retainer funds as directed by attorney
- Process write-offs following Firm policy
- Ability to execute complex bills in a timely manner
- Ability to understand Exception rates, Discounts, Multipayor and Electronic Billing/eHub
- Ability to handle high volume of bills per month and prioritize accordingly
- Act as a resource and effectively interact and communicate with attorneys, secretaries and clients
- Review and verify accuracy of billing and provide supporting documentation as required
- Research and respond to inquiries regarding billing issues and problems
- Create billing reports and spreadsheets for analyses as required
- Organize and maintain billing files
- Ability to assist in preparing documentation for exhibits in court
- Perform special projects as assigned
- Ad-hoc reports as requested
Skills and Attributes:
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task in a fast paced environment
- Ability to handle confidential information in a discreet, professional manner
- High standards, excellent attention to detail, effective communicator, an ownership mentality and exceptional follow through skills are absolutely essential for success in this position
- Ability to meet deadlines and use time efficiently
- Ability to demonstrate good common sense and sound judgment
- Ability to work independently, a self-starter
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to be an effective team member and display initiative
- 1-3 years Billing experience in a law firm environment
- Elite accounting software experience preferred
- Proficient with MS Word and Excel
Position Summary: Manage closings and prepare closing sets; preparation and filing of documents and UCCs for closings; post-closing document preparation and follow-up. This high-profile position entails direct interface with the Global Transportation Finance attorneys, clients and opposing counsel.
- Manage, prepare and distribute post-closing sets and other materials
- Manage and coordinate transaction closings
- Create electronic post-closing CDs
- Assist attorneys with business leasing and loan transactions
- Review and organize due diligence materials
- Prepare and review UCC filings and documentation
- Draft closing documents and correspondence
- Analyze and organize client records
- Reconcile vendor invoices
- Interact with clients and other counsel during business transactions
- Work with project assistants and other support personnel to complete closing sets
Qualifications, Education and Skills:
- A bachelor’s degree is preferred
- A certificate from an ABA-approved paralegal program is preferred
- Minimum of two years’ experience in commercial lending/asset-based financing and transactional work
- Familiarity with UCC’s a plus
- Able to learn quickly and apply training to practical issues
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Able to work under pressure on time sensitive projects
- Able to work interdependently
- Ability to travel as required
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Effective in managing multiple tasks
- Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Willingness to work overtime
- Annually log a target 1500 billable hours
- Ability to lift 25 pounds
The Events Coordinator is responsible for planning, coordinating and executing various Firm events such as seminars, conferences, webinars and other special events in support of the Firm’s goals and objectives. The Events Coordinator will work independently and with other members of the Marketing department as well as members of other Firm departments, attorneys and a variety of external vendors, as appropriate. The ideal candidate should have the ability to conceptualize and manage the staging of events from planning and development through execution and post-event follow-up. In addition, the successful candidate will research and prepare recommendations for events and assist with evaluating opportunities as they relate to the goals and objectives of said events. The Events Coordinator should proactively work with the CRM team and the Practice Development managers to share with the Firm’s attorneys basic benchmark statistics at the industry level and regarding the specific history of the event at hand.
Day-to-day work load includes researching venues and vendors; working with attorneys, graphic designers and Firm departments to create and compile event materials; ensuring CLE requirements are met where applicable; creating mailing lists; managing the process for electronic announcements and invitations; pre-event logistics and on-site event staffing; tracking requests made for events and maintaining the activity calendar; assisting with post-event follow-up; and providing support for third-party conference sponsorships, including managing the delivery of guest invitations, advertisements, attorney biographies and practice descriptions. The Events Coordinator is a part of the Marketing department and works across all practices and with all Marketing team members as well as directly with the Firm’s attorneys.
Successful candidates must have the ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both in writing and verbally, in one-on-one and small group settings and thrive in a team environment.
- Oversee the events function which is high volume with more than 100 events annually (20-30 active at any given time). This includes directly managing a majority of events, but also enabling other Marketing staff and other staff in the Firm to deliver high-quality events.
- Manage and share the Marketing events calendar.
- Manage all event logistics, including approval forms, budgeting and facility arrangements for room setup, including coordinating and reviewing detailed contracts, technical assistance and catering/BEOs.
- Travel when necessary for events held in other cities.
- Coordinate delivery of all items needed for events, including registration information, name tags and handout materials, and CLE-related items as well as production and setup of visual presentations.
- Produce seminar and special event follow-up materials, such as final attendance reports, budget summaries and work with the BD managers on post-event reports.
- Work with CRM team before and after events to ensure InterAction is reflective of event information, including detailed tracking of attendees, cancellations, “no shows” and contact updates.
- Work with social media team to prepare content for event-related posts.
- Meet with Practice Development managers, vendors, technical staff and internal departments to coordinate events and collaborate on specifications and deadlines.
- May assist on other Marketing projects as required.
Qualifications and Education:
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to efficiently follow written and verbal instructions, provide information in a clear and concise manner; maintain effective relationships with a diverse group of attorneys, staff and external vendors.
- High degree of poise and professionalism; ability to build rapport with attorneys and other professional staff including the ability to listen carefully to requests and ask questions to determine the appropriate scope of a project/event.
- Must be a resourceful and detail-oriented self-starter; have the ability to organize and prioritize a number of tasks and complete them in high-pressure situations, including tight time constraints.
- Must be an expert with Microsoft Office Suite; proficient in a range of computer applications including Adobe, a variety of webinar platforms and CRM systems, InterAction experience a plus; comfortable learning new technology platforms and working within settings to achieve desired end result.
- Ability to draft invitation text, including succinctly communicating logistical details while creatively communicating the tone and spirit of the event; proficiency in editing and proofreading invitation text, with strong attention to detail.
- Flexibility to work additional hours, including early mornings and evenings, as necessary
- Extensive relevant professional experience in marketing, communications, PR/promotions focus; bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum four to eight years’ experience in events/marketing in a law firm or professional services organization required.
- Sound analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
The Information Security Engineer position is primarily responsible for implementing and maintaining various technologies to ensure the security of the firm’s systems. Thorough understanding on both product based solutions and fundamental security best practices are vital to this role. The Information Security Engineer will also be responsible for providing technical leadership for strategic projects and initiatives on the security roadmap as well as participating in more general network security and architectural efforts. Furthermore, the Information Security Engineer will collaborate with other Engineers and SMEs to apply and support best practices for security, server building, change management, account management, documentation, and user experience management.
Ongoing Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Design, implement, administer, troubleshoot, and support security infrastructure on Vedder Price’s network, including the following:
Multicontext firewalls and clustering
Intrusion detection and prevention
Centralized log management
Data Loss Prevention
VMWare and Microsoft Windows systems
Non-Windows authentication controls, i.e., cloud-based identity management, Cisco, and Palo Alto Networks
- Collaborate with other staff in Information Services to ensure that security standards are developed and enforced in the course of implementing or upgrading firm technology, educating others on security best practices.
- Demonstrate awareness of security best practices across common technologies, advocating for additional controls as necessary to ensure optimal security. Examples of technologies to be addressed include the following:
Windows desktop systems and “locked down” desktop management
VMWare and Microsoft Windows Server systems
Non-Windows authentication controls, i.e., cloud-based identity management, Cisco, and Palo Alto Networks
Network access control
- Participate fully in all efforts to develop security policies and meet client or other compliance requirements. Lead efforts to document security standards and procedures, demonstrating best practices to auditors or reviewers.
- Review business processes, recommend and implement supportable security changes, including any relevant tools to better secure those processes.
- Evaluate, implement, and enforce security practices around mobile and remote solutions, including Citrix, VPN, and MDM.
- Maintain and coordinate incident response planning, assisting in execution of the incident response plan as needed.
- Investigate actual and suspected security breaches.
- Ensure consistent policies are applied to any hosted or cloud-based services being utilized by the firm.
- Conduct log review and reporting on security devices and identified Windows systems.
- Generate evidence for compliance/audit.
- Work with vendors as necessary to supplement our security capabilities and recommend their use when appropriate.
- Provide backup assistance for other Network Operations team members as necessary.
- Assistance with all projects and tasks related to the firm as directed by the Network Operations Manager
As with all I.S. Engineering positions in the firm, the Information Security Engineer will possess the following skillset:
- Expert-level proficiency with key technologies to be supported, including demonstrated willingness and ability to develop expertise in new technologies as needed.
- Demonstrated competence in detecting and eliminating technical issues in complex systems, utilizing monitoring and other analysis tools to ensure optimal system performance.
- Investment in understanding technologies outside of those directly supported by the Engineer, including demonstrated basic awareness of key functionality of systems that interact with or depend upon the systems directly managed by the Engineer.
- Ability to participate in assessing business purpose of managed systems and to recommend operational or efficiency-related improvements.
- Ability to act independently to meet goals and objectives identified by senior management, including the ability to assist in the creation of project plans and manage time effectively.
- High-level involvement in providing optimal performance and responsive support. Works to ensure optimal performance and reliability of systems while also providing mentoring and knowledge transfer to other Engineers and Technical Support Specialists. Acknowledges key role in responding to alerts and assisting Technical Support in analysis and resolution of issues.
- Accepts responsibility for understanding firm Information Security Standards and applying those standards to ensure security of managed systems.
Qualifications and Education
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a computer-related field
- 5+ years experience in Information Security or related field
- SANS Institute GCIA, GCFW or GCIH preferred; other SANS certifications considered
- Working knowledge of compliance frameworks, such as COBIT, ITIL, NIST or ISO 27001/2
- CISSP or GIAC certification preferred
- Experience with Trend Micro, Palo Alto Networks, Splunk, Rapid7 Nexpose preferred
- Experience in the legal market a plus
- Effective communication skills, both written and oral. Strong interpersonal skills required to communicate with all other IS members, members of the firm (users of systems), and clients. Must have customer service attitude and ability to work well with other groups.
- Superior understanding of the firm's goals and objectives, with demonstrated ability to apply technology in solving business problems
- Strong organizational skills, capability to schedule and coordinate multiple activities in results-oriented environment. Initiative and ability to enforce policies and procedures through influence.
- Must subscribe to being highly available and responsive to occasional after-hours issues, as the firm operates on a near 24x7 basis.