Administrative & Staff Vedder Careers
Vedder Price’s administrative team oversees the capabilities necessary for us to deliver responsive, results-oriented and cost-effective client services.
If you would like to apply to Vedder Price, please submit your resume to:
222 North LaSalle Street
Chicago, Illinois 60601
Fax: +1 (312) 609 5005
Careers & Open Positions
The position is primarily responsible for ensuring accurate, timely, and adequately-detailed client billing by supporting assigned attorneys with client accounts. This is a hands-on position that involves working independently and proactively on all aspects of the day-to-day billing with all offices.
- Review and bill attorney hours and disbursements to clients
- Review and edit proformas in response to attorney and secretary requests
- Apply retainer funds as directed by attorney
- Process write-offs following Firm policy
- Ability to execute complex bills in a timely manner
- Ability to understand Exception rates, Discounts, Multipayor, and Electronic Billing/eHub
- Ability to handle high volume of bills per month and prioritize accordingly
- Act as a resource and effectively interact and communicate with attorneys, secretaries, and clients
- Review and verify accuracy of billing and provide supporting documentation as required
- Research and respond to inquiries regarding billing issues and problems
- Create billing reports and spreadsheets for analyses as required
- Organize and maintain billing files
- Ability to assist in preparing documentation for exhibits in court
- Perform special projects as assigned
- Ad-hoc reports as requested
Skills and Attributes include:
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task in a fast paced environment
- Ability to handle confidential information in a discreet, professional manner
- High standards, excellent attention to detail, effective communicator, an ownership mentality and exceptional follow through skills are absolutely essential for success in this position
- Ability to meet deadlines and use time efficiently
- Ability to demonstrate good common sense and sound judgment
- Ability to work independently, a self-starter
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to be an effective team member and display initiative
- 1-3 years Billing experience in a law firm environment
- Elite accounting software experience preferred
- Proficient with MS Word and Excel.
This position is primarily responsible for the entire conflicts checking process, which requires a comprehensive understanding of conflict databases, producing conflicts reports by using search strategies, processing and analyzing incoming new client and new matter workflow, analyzing large conflict check reports on a daily basis to identify actual or potential conflicts, documenting potential conflict situations, proposing resolutions and coordinating the documentation for resolution, including procuring engagement and waiver letters as necessary. Candidates must have knowledge of the American Bar Association’s Model Rules of Professional Conduct. Additionally, a working knowledge of AML/KYC research/clearance as it relates to a corporate law practice, and risk analysis is required. The position is full time at 35 hours per week, however with the ability to work outside normal business hours as needed. Travel to other offices, as needed. Candidates must have a minimum of two years’ conflicts experience. Hours are generally 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Enter data, search and analyze conflicts data as supplied by secretaries, attorneys, marketing and other administrative support staff into the Firm’s conflicts and new business intake system
- Understand the business intake and conflicts search process in accordance with firm policies and procedures
- Conduct exhaustive research via internal and external sources on all related parties, affiliates, lateral hire candidates, and major organizational relationships of and investments made by firm attorneys
- Verify that all searching is comprehensive and adheres to established standards and procedures
- Prepare and analyze reports and effectively summarize conflict check results
- Articulate potential issues and follow-up on conflict issues with attorneys and others
- Maintain a working knowledge of technology relating to new business intake and conflicts and effectively create workflow changes in the system
- Assign new matter numbers, ensure that all waiver and engagement letters are being collected and erect ethical walls as necessary
- Respond to all inquiries made by secretaries and attorneys relating to intake and conflicts
- AML/KYC research/analysis and data collection
- Knowledge of Anti-Money Laundering regulations
- Knowledge of research databases.Assume any other duties/special projects as assigned by manager
- Work after hours or weekends, as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant information management or legal studies discipline is required. A secondary degree is strongly preferred
- Minimum of two years’ experience in conducting legal research
- Advanced Internet skills and exceptional attention to detail
- Previous experience in a law firm, professional services or consulting firm in processing new business and/or conflicts of interest is strongly desired
- Working knowledge of the Model Rules of Professional Conduct pertaining to business intake and conflicts
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent professional work ethic, initiative and customer service skills
- Excellent analytical skills
- Familiarity with industry leading NBI and Conflicts systems
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs
- Demonstrated proficiency with new technology, including experience as a system administrator; experience with Intapp Open preferred
- Experience with Elite Enterprise
- Experience with Wall Builder
- Ability to work under tight deadlines
The Corporate Finance (GTF) Paralegal manages closings and prepares closing sets; prepares and files documents and UCCs for closings; post-closing document preparation and follow-up. This high-profile position entails direct interface with the Global Transportation Finance attorneys, clients and opposing counsel.
- Manage, prepare and distribute post-closing sets and other materials
- Manage and coordinate transaction closings
- Create electronic post-closing CDs
- Assist attorneys with business leasing and loan transactions
- Review and organize due diligence materials
- Proof read
- Prepare and review UCC filings and documentation
- Draft closing documents and correspondence
- Analyze and organize client records
- Reconcile vendor invoices
- Interact with clients and other counsel during business transactions
- Work with project assistants and other support personnel to complete closing sets
Qualifications, Education and Skills include:
- A bachelor's degree is preferred
- A certificate from an ABA-approved paralegal program is preferred
- Minimum of two years’ experience in commercial lending/asset-based financing and transactional work
- Familiarity with UCC's a plus
- Able to learn quickly and apply training to practical issues
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Able to work under pressure on time sensitive projects
- Able to work interdependently
- Ability to travel as required
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Effective in managing multiple tasks
- Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Willingness to work overtime
- Annually log a target 1500 billable hours
- Ability to lift 25 pounds
Motivated, self-directed Directory and Research Coordinator to work in the Marketing Department and assist Marketing personnel and firm attorneys on directory and survey submissions and general research requests. The Coordinator plays a critical role in managing the firm’s responses to directories, surveys and ranking requests, including managing the overall effort, as well as guiding the Practice Development Liaisons in developing concise and informative responses. This position also helps to bolster the firm's diversity efforts by compiling information from multiple departments to respond to firmwide diversity surveys from both clients and outside publications. A secondary role for this position is supporting the Marketing team in the research function. In this capacity, the Coordinator manages our research tools, creates appropriate templates, trains the Practice Development Liaisons on the use of the tools and provides direct research when required.
Successful candidates will have a strong capacity for working in a client service role in a team environment. The candidate must be extremely comfortable with writing and analysis to provide critical feedback in the directories and research reporting portions of the position. The Coordinator must also be proficient in the use of online information research services.
Directories and Rankings Support
- Supports the Marketing team in managing the overall annual survey efforts, including: assigning directory submissions to relevant Marketing professionals in advance of the publisher’s deadlines, tracking development of the submissions, providing final review of submissions, and ensuring proper filing and documentation of the submissions.
- Manages the newly-developed Experience System along with the Technology Manager including: understanding the data flow of matters collection, directing relevant write-ups to the relevant practice development liaisons, and other duties.
- When needed, prepares legal directory submissions including pulling relevant representative works when available and other content files as well as writing and editing the submissions on behalf of the firm when needed.
- Helps manage league table submissions for transaction-based practice groups.
- Conducts peer firm analysis such as league table rankings, international activities and client relationships to support various practice and office initiatives.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Creates research templates for use by Marketing team and trains the team members on compiling research deliverables.
- Performs ad hoc analysis and research on client, practice and office developmental opportunities, when needed.
- Helps lead in the analysis and presentation of market, industry and geography research combining internal data with external sources on firm strategic initiatives.
- Follows and tracks trends in the legal industry as it relates to business development efforts across practices and offices.
- Prepares company profiles including background information, advisory relationships, and market intelligence and connects to the firm experiences and relationships.
- Analyzes, summarizes and presents analysis on capital markets (public equity and debt offerings) deals and M&A transactions by company, region, industry or peer firms.
- Develops knowledge and understanding of external data sources for use in business development projects.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills—ability to synthesize, interpret and summarize relevant information from various sources and share insights in an actionable recommendation.
- Basic acumen of businesses financials; understanding of SEC filings a plus.
- More importantly, have an innate desire and curiosity to learn about business, industries and markets.
- Previous experience in directories support required.
- Knowledge or experience with Capital IQ, Bloomberg, Monitor Suite or other competitive/market intelligence tools required.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite products required; experience with InterAction or other CRM application a plus.
- Self-motivated and able to lead and work independently on projects as well as support team members in major initiatives as required.
- Strong project management skills with experience in managing multiple projects at once.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree required; MBA a plus.
- Minimum of 5 to 8 years’ experience in professional services field required.
- Ability to work overtime to meet directory deadlines as needed.
Hours: 8:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m.
The Events and Practice Development Marketing Assistant (Assistant) is responsible for supporting and executing various firm events such as seminars, conferences, webinars and other special events under the direction of the Events Coordinator. The ideal candidate should have the ability to understand and follow through on the staging of events from planning and development through execution and post-event follow-up. In addition, the successful candidate will research and prepare recommendations for events and assist with evaluating opportunities as they relate to the goals and objectives of said events.
In supporting the Events Coordinator, the day-to-day workload of the Assistant includes researching venues and vendors; working with attorneys, graphic designers and firm departments to create and compile event materials; creating mailing lists; managing the process for electronic announcements and invitations; pre-event logistics and on-site event staffing; and tracking requests made for events and maintaining the relevant team calendars.
The Assistant also provides support and backup assistance to the Marketing Department on a variety of other activities in practice development, including data compilation assistance, text assembly for proposals and RFP responses. The Assistant is a part of the Marketing Department and works across all practices and with all Marketing team members as well as working directly with firm attorneys.Successful candidates must have the ability to communicate clearly and effectively in one-on-one and small group settings and thrive in a team environment.
The Assistant will report to a Professional Development Manager while working under daily direction from the Events Coordinator.
- Support all event logistics as directed by the Events Coordinator
- Coordinate delivery of all items needed for events
- Work within the department to produce seminar and special-event follow-up materials, such as final attendance reports and budget summaries
- Work with the CRM Coordinator to ensure that InterAction is reflective of event information and contact updates
- Department filing and organization
- General administrative support and other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Education include:
- Personable and professional
- Strong attention to detail and ability to multi-task and handle competing demands
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to handle work well under pressure with a professional and positive attitude
- Self-starter who can work independently with minimal supervision
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel, as well as an ability to grasp new technologies
- College degree required
- Ability to lift 25 pounds
The Intellectual Property Docket Specialist will be responsible for all aspects of docketing activities pertaining to Intellectual Property (IP) matters; reports to IP Docket Manager.
- Utilize IP-specific software (CPI) to calendar and docket all IP-related activities for patent, trademark and copyright matters
- Manage projects related to IP docketing, including review of matters and matter status with the USPTO
- Adhere to department and firm policies related to docketing matters and procedures
- Prepare e-mails to attorneys, paralegals, secretaries and foreign associates as needed
- Generate accurate customized reports for attorneys, paralegals and secretaries as requested
- Follow up on deadlines for response to Office Actions, clearing docketed dates accordingly
Qualifications, Education and Prior Experience:
- Associate’s degree or higher required· 3–5 years of experience in a law firm or corporation
- Exhibit strong substantive knowledge of docketing requirements as well as being strongly analytical, organized, highly motivated, proactive and communicative. Candidate must also be a problem solver and a team player with the ability to exercise independence and professional judgement in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of U.S. and foreign patents, PAIR and PCT
This position is responsible for supporting the Litigation, Labor and Bankruptcy practice areas firm wide. Strong administrative, organizational, and interpersonal skills and the ability to recognize and act on important details and deadlines are also required. Candidate must have the ability to work under pressure, respond quickly to changing demands and be self-motivated with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- E-File and obtain documents using PACER and other court resources
- Assist in searches and extraction of information from court-related databases and websites
- Arrange for service of subpoenas and summons using Firm preferred process servers
- Interact with personnel from multiple departments and at various levels in the firm
- Use CompuLaw to perform docketing/calendaring responsibilities and to run standard reports to notify attorneys of upcoming dates
- Assist with department projects as needed and perform other work-related duties as assigned by attorneys and manager
- Enforce department and firm policies related to docketing matters
Qualifications and Education include:
- Associate’s degree or higher required; or any combination of training, education, and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the position is preferred
- Three (3) to five (5) years of experience within a law firm environment preferred
- Detail oriented, extremely organized and able to prioritize tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to interact effectively and professionally with internal clients and all levels of personnel, including attorneys, coworkers and administrators
- Thorough knowledge of federal and state e-filing procedures
- Knowledge of local, state and federal rules and codes of civil procedure
- CompuLaw experience preferred but not required
The Senior Docket Manager is responsible for managing the Litigation and IP Docket Department Firm-wide, overseeing project planning and implementation, as well as driving department efficiencies and process improvements. The Senior Docket Manager is responsible for maintaining accurate and up-to-date databases of due dates and information on all client matters which pertain to litigation, patent and trademark applications and prosecution, and IP agency proceedings, while managing the Litigation and IP Docket Staff Firm-wide.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Coordinate with the Litigation and IP Practice Area Leaders and the Office of the General Counsel on docketing policies, procedures, and objectives for the Firm
- Work with Litigation and IP Practice Area Leaders and the Office of the General Counsel to develop and maintain an operating and user manual that guides docketing policies and procedures Firm-wide
- Ensure that Firm’s docketing databases are maintained and upgraded as necessary
- Manage Docket Departments to ensure that all docketing guidelines and requirements are in compliance with Firm’s standards and best practices
- Monitor and maintain reports for statistical analysis
- Provide docket reports upon request
- Manage intake of transferred files and entry into database as applicable
- Establish standards for processing and forwarding of docketed items to ensure docketing policies and procedures are implemented by department personnel
- Manage the Docket Services function Firm-wide
- Manage all Docketing Staff Firm-wide including training, mentoring and developing staff; conducting performance evaluations and providing performance counseling and coaching
- Conduct regular meetings with Docket Staff, both Litigation and IP
- Provide efficient and accurate centralized docket calendaring for the Firm
- Communicate with other offices of the Firm regarding docketing policies, procedures and quality assurance
- Perform quality control review of docketing information by conducting periodic audits and review of databases
- Provide assistance with the development of system performance standards
- Ensure that docketing policies and procedures are implemented. Make suggestions/comments for improvement
- Responsible for troubleshooting problems or inquiries and communicating solutions
- Assist the attorneys and paralegals with use of the docketing system
- Provide substantive procedural advice to attorneys in the Firm
- Apprise attorneys of rule amendments affecting procedure
- Assist attorneys in locating forms for court and other filings
- Direct daily interaction with legal staff to coordinate court/agency filings and to promote information sharing related to docket management
- Maintain a working knowledge of court rules and procedures, patent office rules and procedures, and IP agency proceeding rules and procedures and expertise regarding case related research
- Review court documents to insure conformity with relevant rules and procedures, including local jurisdiction and individual judge rules
- Elevate the profile of Docket Services Firm-wide by providing services to all practice groups and Vedder Price offices; promote department services to lawyers and staff
- Represent the Firm at various court related and association meetings/functions
- Advise attorneys regarding court rules and procedures, filings, trial dates, adjournments, calendar dates, summonses, subpoenas, witness fees and service of process, including engaging process servers, skip tracers, etc.
- Review documents before service and filing for correct form, signatures, required filing fees, required number of copies, and other administrative aspects
- Manage docketing vendors and outside services to ensure that deadlines are met, including appropriate tracking and payment of fees, etc.
- Provide court forms and sample documents and/or draft legal documents such as notices of entry, stipulations, notices of appearance and affidavits of service and accompany attorneys to court for special proceedings as needed
- Monitor newly filed cases that involve existing and prospective firm clients
- Monitor the Courts, websites, as well as various on-line services for decisions, opinions and developments in all pending matters
- Oversee e-filing procedures as well as file documents physically and electronically
Skills & Competencies:
- Thorough working knowledge of electronic case filing systems and procedures
- Working knowledge of rules and procedures for courts and agencies in all Vedder Price locations
- Strong organization and leadership skills
- Strong written and communication skills; ability to work well under pressure and meet strict deadlines; critical thinking and analytical skills
- Ability to collaborate in an effective manner with attorneys, clients and co-workers
- Ability to be a proactive, self-starter, who understands the details within a much larger context
- Must be flexible in order to respond quickly and positively to shifting demands and priorities, ability to work under tight deadlines and handle multiple, detailed tasks
- Ability to work in multi-office environment and manage staff Firm-wide
- Excellent decision-making skills and judgement
Qualifications & Required Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience
- 10+ years of comprehensive docketing experience, including both Litigation and IP
- 5 years in a management position
- Experience with strategic planning, project implementation and training development is strongly preferred
- Experience in implementing and updating docket systems and procedures preferred
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be proficient in the following software:
- Thorough understanding of rules based docket software solutions (CompuLaw preferred) and use of on-line research resources such as LexisNexis CourtLink and/or Westlaw CourtExpress and PACER
- Knowledge of and experience with resources such as PAIR, CPI, and other International IP law databases; experience in docketing conversion is strongly preferred
- Experience with law firm document management software and application of such software to docket departments
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office, Outlook and various database systems
The Technology Project Manager/Business Analyst investigates the business issues/challenges of the firm and defines and manages projects to address those challenges. The analyst works as a liaison among stakeholders in order to elicit, analyze, communicate and validate requirements for changes to business processes, policies and information systems. The PM/BA is responsible for significant, firm-wide projects, focused on meeting project commitments and timelines while enforcing budgetary and scope limitations.The ideal candidate possesses excellent process improvement, change management, and project management skills, along with functional knowledge relevant to a law firm. As the majority of the firm’s substantive projects involve the implementation or adoption of technology, the PM/BA will focus on driving successful technology initiatives in collaboration with the Director of I.S. and the I.S. team.
- Collaborates with firm Directors and other leadership to understand business requirements and assists in defining and documenting the firm’s overall project portfolio.
- Develops and maintains detailed awareness of firm business processes and challenges, then proposes solutions to address identified needs, including adoption and implementation of technology, process improvement, policy development, training, or other avenues for improvement.
- Initiates new projects by gathering and documenting business requirements, coordinating RFP/RFI efforts with vendors, drafting project charters.
- Manages active projects by scheduling and leading project meetings, tracking progress and milestones, reporting progress to stakeholders, tracking open issues, and coordinating resolution of issues between relevant teams.
- Identifies major risks that could delay projects and works with stakeholders to determine mitigation strategies.
- Assists stakeholders in making changes to project scope, cost, or duration.
- Collaborates with I.S. and Accounting managers in creating and tracking budget status as projects progress.
- Understands basic principles of database design and data management best practices. Assists in defining data requirements and related data collection and maintenance practices.
- Understands basic principles of application development and the software development lifecycle and provides project management assistance related to software design and development efforts.
- Builds and “sells” requirements (and “functional specs” for major initiatives), project charters, business processes and recommendations related to proposed solutions.
- Takes a leadership role as change agent, consensus builder and problem solver.
Education and Experience Level:
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of five years of experience managing complex technology-centric projects in support of business-wide operational or financial initiatives.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, along with solid interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with all levels of staff within the firm on a daily basis.
- Excellent organization skills; analytical, detail-oriented and methodical.
- Certifications relating to project management or efficiency methodologies preferred.
- Experience working in a large law firm or legal consultancy strongly preferred.
The Global Transportation Finance Paralegal is a member of the firm’s Corporate practice area. They assist with document preparation and distribution, preparation and filing of documents and UCCs for closings and post-closing document preparation and follow-up. This position entails direct interface with lawyers, clients and opposing counsel.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assisting the lawyers in the London and the U.S. offices with all aspects of corporate, finance and Global Transportation Finance (“GTF”) transactions, including creating closing indices, proofing and amending documents, updating closing checklists and master bible, preparing master bible and execution documents, managing post-closing activities and related matters
- Conducting research related to transactions and filings through both print and electronic sources
- Researching, reviewing and organising due diligence materials
- Preparing and reviewing Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) filings and documentation
- Drafting and managing closing documents and correspondence
- Preparing or managing the preparation of closing sets and post-closing documentation, including electronic and hard copy master bibles; distribution of original documents and closing sets to the relevant transaction parties; proofing CD and hard copy master bibles
- Assisting in the creation, organisation and management of physical and virtual data rooms; oversee requests for hard copy printouts from data rooms
- Analysing and organising records and documents
- Reviewing, reconciling and approving certain vendor invoices pre- and post-closing to ensure timely billing to the client
- Researching areas of practice interest and circulating summaries to lawyers; legal research as requested including anti-money laundering and know your client (“KYC”) research
- Maintaining client records and minute books and responding to requests relating to same; manage CD master bible library
- Performing online searches and filings on Companies House; prepare Companies House documents
- Performing International Registry (aircraft) filings and searches
- Performing CAA filings and searches
- Performing Central Index and winding up searches
- Assist in the training and mentoring of more junior paralegals
- Performing other tasks as assigned by the lawyers
Education and Qualifications:
- B.A. or equivalent degree
- Three or more years’ experience in general corporate practice and/or commercial lending/asset-based financing and transactional work preferred
- Familiarity with UCCs
- Willingness and flexibility to work overtime
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work under pressure on time-sensitive projects
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to work independently
- Discretion and diplomacy
- High level of attention to detail
The firm reserves the right to vary or amend the duties and responsibilities of the post holder at.