Administrative & Staff Vedder Careers
Vedder Price’s administrative team oversees the capabilities necessary for us to deliver responsive, results-oriented and cost-effective client services.
If you would like to apply to Vedder Price, please submit your resume to:
222 North LaSalle Street
Chicago, Illinois 60601
Fax: +1 (312) 609 5005
Careers & Open Positions
Vedder Price is hiring an Application Developer. The Application Developer will take a hands-on role in the design and development of workflow applications, databases and other development artifacts within the organization. The Application Developer role is primarily responsible for the development and technical support of critical enterprise applications to insure accurate system operation, process improvement and integrity of data across core systems. This role will serve as the functional expert on the firm’s key enterprise applications in risk management and marketing that leverage IntApp technologies such as IntApp OPEN, Experience, FLOW and INTEGRATE. He/she will be the technical point of contact between the business unit and the Information Services (IS) department. The role will design technical documentation of system updates, improve workflow and make appropriate recommendations that will positively impact operational effectiveness.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drive the strategic technical architecture, software methodologies and processes, technical project management, implementation planning and software maintenance for critical enterprise systems requiring application development and workflow expertise (IntApp OPEN, Experience, FLOW workflow and INTEGRATE).
- Act as SME for workflow-oriented business processes (new business intake, conflicts, etc.) and suggest related improvements.
- Effectively translate business needs, both stated and implied, into workable solutions at all stages of the project process, from envisioning to end product delivery.
- Ensure continuing operational quality by documenting bug fixes and enhancements.
- Working closely with the firm’s Technical Support team, provide escalated technical and application support to users of risk management and marketing applications.
- Analyzes discrepancies in system performance and makes recommendations for updates.
- Develop and maintain standards and best practices for application developers, including but not limited to build, source control, source code, and testing guidelines.
- Rationalize and simplify existing code base.
- Participate on project teams for implementing new systems and enhancing or upgrading existing systems.
- Identify and recommend production customizations and enhancements.
- Minimum five years of overall software development experience (legal industry preferred).
- Hands-on development experience with IntApp OPEN, INTEGRATE, FLOW highly desirable.
- In-depth knowledge of risk management workflow solutions for new business intake and conflicts desired.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of workflow solutions such as K2, BizTalk, SSIS, etc. a plus.
- Ability to understand high level requirements and translate them into technical solutions.
- Produce high quality, modular, reusable code that incorporates current best practices.
- Advanced knowledge of structured query language (SQL).
- Experience developing complex reports using tools such as SSRS, Power BI, Cognos, etc.
- Familiar with development technologies such as C#, VB.NET, ASP.NET, MVC, LINQ, etc.
- Development experience related to core financial software applications, such as: Elite, Chrome River, and DTE/Intapp Time desirable.
- Experience with business and technical requirements analysis, business process modeling/mapping, methodology development, and data mapping.
- Understanding of Object-Oriented design patterns and Service Oriented Architecture (SOA), including technologies such as SOAP, WSDL, WCF and Web Services.
- Strong communication skills, including presentation skills and ability to tailor communications for the intended audience.
- Strong time management skills with proven ability to multi-task and maintain professional demeanor under pressure.
- Demonstrated ability to stay current with industry best practices, existing and emerging technology platforms, and trends related to architecture and application development.
- Bachelor or Associates Degree in Computer Information Systems and/or Accounting, Finance, Business Administration.
The position is primarily responsible for ensuring accurate, timely, and adequately-detailed client billing by supporting assigned attorneys with client accounts. This is a hands-on position that involves working independently and proactively on all aspects of the day-to-day billing with all offices.
- Review and bill attorney hours and disbursements to clients
- Review and edit proformas in response to attorney and secretary requests
- Apply retainer funds as directed by attorney
- Process write-offs following Firm policy
- Ability to execute complex bills in a timely manner
- Ability to understand Exception rates, Discounts, Multipayor, and Electronic Billing/eHub
- Ability to handle high volume of bills per month and prioritize accordingly
- Act as a resource and effectively interact and communicate with attorneys, secretaries, and clients
- Review and verify accuracy of billing and provide supporting documentation as required
- Research and respond to inquiries regarding billing issues and problems
- Create billing reports and spreadsheets for analyses as required
- Organize and maintain billing files
- Ability to assist in preparing documentation for exhibits in court
- Perform special projects as assigned
- Ad-hoc reports as requested
Skills and Attributes include:
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task in a fast paced environment
- Ability to handle confidential information in a discreet, professional manner
- High standards, excellent attention to detail, effective communicator, an ownership mentality and exceptional follow through skills are absolutely essential for success in this position
- Ability to meet deadlines and use time efficiently
- Ability to demonstrate good common sense and sound judgment
- Ability to work independently, a self-starter
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to be an effective team member and display initiative
- 1-3 years Billing experience in a law firm environment
- Elite accounting software experience preferred
- Proficient with MS Word and Excel.
Vedder is hiring a Conflicts Analyst. This position is primarily responsible for the entire conflicts checking process, which requires an ability to have a comprehensive understanding of conflict databases, producing conflicts reports by using search strategies, processing and analyzing incoming new client and new matter workflow, analyzing large conflict check reports on a daily basis to identify actual/or potential conflicts, documenting potential conflict situations, proposing resolutions, and coordinating the documentation for resolution, including procuring engagement and waiver letters as necessary. Candidates must have knowledge of the American Bar Association’s Model Rules of Professional Conduct. Additionally, a working knowledge of AML/KYC research/clearance as it relates in a corporate law practice, and risk analysis. The position is full-time at 35 hours per week, however with the ability to work outside normal business hours as needed. Travel to other offices, as needed. Candidates must have a minimum of two years conflicts experience. Hours are 9:00 a.m – 5:00 p.m.
- Data entry, search, and analysis of conflicts data as supplied by secretaries,attorneys, marketing and other administrative support staff into the Firm’s conflicts and new business intake system. Understanding the business intake and conflicts search process in accordance with Firm policies and procedures
- Conduct exhaustive research via internal and external sources on all related parties, affiliates, lateral hire candidate, and major organizational relationships of and investments made by Firm attorneys. Verify that all searching is comprehensive and adhere to established standards and procedures.
- Prepare and analyze reports and effectively summarize conflict check results.
- Articulate potential issues and follow-up on conflict issues with attorneys and others.
- Maintain a working knowledge of technology relating to new business intake and conflicts and effectively create workflow changes in the system.
- Assign new matter numbers, ensure that all waiver and engagement letters are being collected and erect ethical walls as necessary.
- Respond to all inquiries made by secretaries and attorneys relating to intake and conflicts.
- AML/KYC research/analysis and data collection.
- Knowledge of Anti-Money Laundering regulations.
- Knowledge of research databases
- Assume any other duties/special projects as assigned by manager.
- Work after hours or weekends, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant information management or legal studies discipline is required. A secondary degree is strongly preferred.
- Minimum of two years’ experience in conducting legal research
- Advanced internet skills, and exceptional attention to detail
- Previous experience in a law firm, professional services or consulting firm in processing new business and/or conflicts of interest is strongly desired
- Working knowledge of the Model Rules of Professional Conduct pertaining to business intake and conflicts
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent professional work ethic, initiative and customer service
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Familiarity with industry leading NBI and Conflicts systems.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs
- Demonstrated proficiency with new technology, including experience as a system administrator; experience with Intapp Open preferred
- Experience with Elite Enterprise
- Experience with WallBuilder
- Ability to work with tight deadlines
Vedder Price has an opening for a Document Center Supervisor. The Document Center Supervisor is responsible for supervising the Document Center and Proofreading Departments during the day shift. The Document Center Supervisor is responsible for the coordination of work, the training and integration of new operators, the ongoing training of existing staff; implementing department procedures to increase efficiencies and promote customer service throughout all Vedder Price offices.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage workflow within the department to ensure deadlines are met; coordinate with Evening Document Center Supervisor to ensure smooth transition of work between shifts
- Manage daily staff coverage and scheduling of vacations and time off
- Review working requests to ensure appropriate firm resources are utilized for completion of projects
- Work in conjunction with Evening Document Center Supervisor to monitor operator strengths and areas in need of improvement
- Identify, coordinate and schedule focused training for Document Center staff
- Manage the problem-solving of corrupt or unstable documents
- Manage the Document Center Database to facilitate tracking and reporting of department workloads
- Develop, implement and enforce procedures within department to ensure the highest quality and consistency of document production supporting all firm offices
- Conduct staff performance evaluations for Day Shift Document Center Staff
- Assist with interviewing Document Center candidates
Qualifications & Required Experience:
- 3+ years of previous supervisory experience
- Minimum 5 years of prior law firm word processing/document center experience
- Associates degree preferred or equivalent experience
- Position also requires the ability to work under pressure to meet strict deadlines
- Advanced knowledge of MS Word which includes Styles, generating TOCs and TOAs solid experience with PowerPoint, Excel, and Adobe
Responsible, professional, detail-oriented, and experienced Professional Development (“PD”) Specialist to work with Manager of Professional Development and Continuing Legal Education (“CLE”) Assistant to help facilitate Vedder Price University (“VPU”) educational attorney/paralegal training programs and to ensure the delivery of high-quality continuing legal education programming.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible, professional, detail-oriented, and experienced Professional Development (“PD”) Specialist to work with Manager of Professional Development and Continuing Legal Education (“CLE”)
- Assistant to help facilitate Vedder Price University (“VPU”) educational attorney/paralegal training programs and to ensure the delivery of high-quality continuing legal education programming
- Work with and oversee the CLE Assistant to ensure that attorneys’ CLE credits/requirements and license information are updated and maintained utilizing CE Manager database
- Stay abreast of CLE rules, regulations and compliance requirements and maintain responsibility for overseeing attorney CLE deadlines in states/regions in which Vedder Price has offices, including developing a working knowledge of CLE publication and teaching credit requirements in CA, IL, NJ, NY, VA and England/Wales
- Work with team to execute all training programs and events, including oversight of CLE Assistant’s logistic and calendaring coordination to ensure success of training programs
- Assist Manager of Professional Development in updating PD/Training/CLE Annual Calendar and other training and CLE documents
Qualifications & Required Experience:
- Previous legal industry experience and familiarity with CLE and CE Manager required
- Must have excellent oral/written communication and listening skills and have the ability to communicate across all levels inside and outside the firm; excellent customer service and diplomacy skills required
- Strong research skills and understanding of various states’ CLE rules and practices
- Keen attention to detail/strict deadlines and ability to follow directions
- Strong time management and organizational skills, with ability to effectively and efficiently manage and prioritize multiple assignments in a fast-paced environment
- Minimum of 2-3 years’ experience Bachelor’s Degree preferred
The Technology Project Manager/Business Analyst investigates the business issues/challenges of the firm and defines and manages projects to address those challenges. The analyst works as a liaison among stakeholders in order to elicit, analyze, communicate and validate requirements for changes to business processes, policies and information systems. The PM/BA is responsible for significant, firm-wide projects, focused on meeting project commitments and timelines while enforcing budgetary and scope limitations.The ideal candidate possesses excellent process improvement, change management, and project management skills, along with functional knowledge relevant to a law firm. As the majority of the firm’s substantive projects involve the implementation or adoption of technology, the PM/BA will focus on driving successful technology initiatives in collaboration with the Director of I.S. and the I.S. team.
- Collaborates with firm Directors and other leadership to understand business requirements and assists in defining and documenting the firm’s overall project portfolio.
- Develops and maintains detailed awareness of firm business processes and challenges, then proposes solutions to address identified needs, including adoption and implementation of technology, process improvement, policy development, training, or other avenues for improvement.
- Initiates new projects by gathering and documenting business requirements, coordinating RFP/RFI efforts with vendors, drafting project charters.
- Manages active projects by scheduling and leading project meetings, tracking progress and milestones, reporting progress to stakeholders, tracking open issues, and coordinating resolution of issues between relevant teams.
- Identifies major risks that could delay projects and works with stakeholders to determine mitigation strategies.
- Assists stakeholders in making changes to project scope, cost, or duration.
- Collaborates with I.S. and Accounting managers in creating and tracking budget status as projects progress.
- Understands basic principles of database design and data management best practices. Assists in defining data requirements and related data collection and maintenance practices.
- Understands basic principles of application development and the software development lifecycle and provides project management assistance related to software design and development efforts.
- Builds and “sells” requirements (and “functional specs” for major initiatives), project charters, business processes and recommendations related to proposed solutions.
- Takes a leadership role as change agent, consensus builder and problem solver.
Education and Experience Level:
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of five years of experience managing complex technology-centric projects in support of business-wide operational or financial initiatives.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, along with solid interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with all levels of staff within the firm on a daily basis.
- Excellent organization skills; analytical, detail-oriented and methodical.
- Certifications relating to project management or efficiency methodologies preferred.
- Experience working in a large law firm or legal consultancy strongly preferred.
Vedder Price is hiring a Conflicts/AML Analyst in our London office to support the Chicago-based Conflicts Manager and the London Office in ensuring effective client and matter risk controls are in place and operate across the full range of practice areas globally. To contribute to ensuring that the firm complies with its regulatory obligations and appropriately manages and mitigates risk issues.
The employee must be proficient with the following core compliance processes:
- Client Due Diligence (CDD) Process, including managing high risk clients, and Business Acceptance Committee Processes
- Client Care and Engagement Terms
- Sanctions monitoring, including sanction updates
- Assessment of AML risks depending on the client's jurisdiction, legal, regulatory position and commercial activities
- Client Pre-Approval processes
- Matter management, including matter opening and assessing compliance with applicable regulations, rules and policies, including the SRA Code of Conduct
- Compliance auditing and non-compliance reporting
- Matter opening, CDD, client care, SRA Code of Conduct issues and basic sanctions issues with minimal supervision
- Take ownership of all stages of the matter opening process; starting from an AML review to Final Matter Review and escalation of any issues as necessary
- Review and assessment of the risks for all new matters, including advising on matter and engagement terms and inter-office working arrangements
- Advising the firm on its AML and professional ethical compliance obligations and standards
- Assisting with the firm's internal audit processes
- Assisting in the creation and review of internal AML compliance policies and procedures
- Assisting with any compliance projects.
Required experience and skills:
- Relevant degree and/or International Compliance Association Diploma in Anti-Money Laundering or Compliance
- Compliance experience working in a law firm or a professional services environment
- Highly effective research skills using all relevant information sources, including IT resources
- Good knowledge of relevant compliance rules and regulations, including (but not limited to) publicity, client care, conflicts of interest, confidentiality and the Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing and Transfer of Funds (Information on the Payer) Regulations 2017
- Ability to assemble research and produce clear, accurate findings
- Ability to analyse issues and draw/express conclusions succinctly
- Ability to use internal precedents and draft emails in plain English
- Has an understanding of client management software, such as OPEN and ELITE preferred, and a general understanding of the client intake and billing processes
- PC literate with a good working knowledge of MS Office, e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Ability to manage all aspects of workload including administration
- Open minded, flexible and creative thinker
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Can confidently and clearly explain problems and issues to partners and proactively contribute to their resolution
- Pro-active and pro-solution oriented with excellent customer service skills
- Ability to work within a team, willing to provide support to other team members in various work related matters and projects
- Ability to remain calm while under pressure, effectively manage and prioritize tasks, able to quickly adapt to newly introduced changes in the AML procedures, processes or policies, company structure, information and workflow or in other areas
- Ability to analyse and recognize the need for improvement to systems and suggest options
- Excellent time management skills
This position provides support to attorneys and paralegals resulting in a high level of client service; document processing and editing; managing travel arrangements; processing new business intake; preparing and submitting attorney expenses; inputting attorney time entries; handling client billing; responding to client inquiries via phone and email; arranging meetings and conferences; coordinating calendars; monitoring incoming mail, faxes and e-mails; maintaining and updating client files and other tasks.
- Use word processing and document management software (Microsoft Office 2010, including Adobe, PowerPoint, Excel, Workshare Compare, DM, etc.) to prepare and revise, format and finalize a wide variety of legal documents
- Assist attorneys with new client applications and conflict checks
- Accurately enter attorney time into timekeeping system to meet weekly deadlines
- Establish and maintain paper and electronic client and administrative files in compliance with current Firm policies
- Interact on a daily basis with departments within the Firm to facilitate highest possible legal support
- Prepare and submit expense reports
- Work closely with Accounting Department staff to prepare and manage client billings and receivables
- Proficiency with making and managing travel arrangements with assistance of travel agency to ensure all aspects of travel are made accurately and communicated effectively (i.e., air, hotel, car, train, meeting rooms, travel memberships accounts and the like)
- Answer, screen and place phone calls to clients and other business associates and respond to client inquiries
- Open, review and route mail as directed
- Provide assistance to other Legal Secretaries within Firm whenever necessary to meet Firm and client needs
- Associate’s degree preferred
- Minimum of three (3) years of legal secretarial experience in a law firm environment working with multiple attorneys
- Proficiency in MS Word and Adobe a must, minimum typing speed of 65 words/min
- Advanced knowledge in formatting briefs, pleadings and other litigation documents
- Knowledge of e-filings and California and Federal Court procedures
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to deal courteously and effectively with others
- Ability to read, interpret and follow instructions
- Ability to work core business hours with flexibility for overtime, as required
- Personable, professional, detailed-oriented and a problem solver
- Able to prioritize tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Strong organizational skills combined with the ability to work independently on several projects at one time
Vedder Price seeks a Records & Information Compliance Analyst in our LA office. This Records & Information Compliance Analyst (“RIC Analyst”) is responsible for records management and information compliance activities in the West Coast offices.
- Complete understanding of the Firm’s records management policies, processes, methodologies and systems
- Understands policy and process distinctions between legal representation records and Firm administrative records.
- Creates new records in the Firm’s electronic Records Management System (RMS)
- Maintains all files located in the Records Department storage areas and case rooms
- Updates the RMS while performing daily tasks, including but not limited to; circulation, file creation, file name edits, processing files for off-site, file audits, etc.
- Performs circulation activities including the retrieval and delivery of files to firm personnel
- Prepares files and boxes for off-site storage
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Library Science, Information Science or other related field or an equivalent combination of education and/or work experience. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Requires a minimum of three years of records management experience.
- Must possess strong leadership skills and successfully demonstrate competencies with records management, customer service and computer skills
- Demonstrated experience with information management technologies, including RIM databases, litigation support tools, document management systems, e-mail systems and image capture and data transfer technologies.
- Prior law firm experience; Certified Records Manager designation, Information Governance Professional designation or litigation support certification; experience designing workflow processes; project management experience a plus.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Solid writing and oral presentation skills with experience writing procedures and reports.
- Awareness of Firm organizational structure.
- Excellent organizational skills.