White Collar Defense and Investigations Vedder Service
We have represented companies and individuals in complex white collar criminal prosecutions, grand jury investigations and civil enforcement actions across a broad range of industries, including financial services, health care and pharmaceuticals, accounting, government contracting, manufacturing, and oil and gas.
Our practice is comprised of former federal prosecutors, including Assistant United States Attorneys with the Department of Justice and Enforcement Attorneys with the Securities and Exchange Commission, and other experienced defense attorneys who bring a high level of credibility to our dealings with law enforcement agencies, assisting us in minimizing the damage from these proceedings and, often times, avoiding charges altogether. In the event of prosecution, our attorneys have deep experience litigating white collar matters through trial and appeal, and the expertise necessary to advise our clients on the risks and benefits of proceeding to trial or accepting a plea.
We also regularly conduct internal investigations on behalf of companies responding to a grand jury subpoena, an administrative subpoena, a whistleblower complaint or an unfavorable media report, and for companies working proactively to root out potential misconduct and other business risks. Drawing on our experience working in and with numerous government enforcement agencies, we provide sound counseling and advice to our corporate clients to develop effective detection and compliance programs, and to remediate any discovered wrongdoing, including through self-disclosure to authorities when appropriate.
We have experience defending against and investigating allegations related to health care fraud, anti-kickback and bribery violations, securities and commodities fraud, tax crimes, accounting violations, FCPA violations, cybercrimes, environmental crimes and criminal antitrust violations, among other matters.
- Representing a national accounting firm and its employees as witnesses in a grand jury investigation and trial of a pharmaceutical executive and his lawyer on charges of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and securities fraud
- Representing a national hospital system and its employees as witnesses in a grand jury investigation and trial of a transportation provider on federal health care fraud charges
- Representing the former chief medical officer of a hospital in connection with a grand jury investigation into possible federal health care fraud offenses
- Conducting an internal investigation for a government contractor related to misconduct by a former employee possibly involving official bribery and FCPA violations
- Representing a third-party investment advisor in federal criminal forfeiture proceedings against one of its former clients following his conviction for federal health care fraud offenses
- Representing a senior pharmaceutical executive in connection with internal and enforcement agency investigations of the company’s financial reporting and accounting practices
- Represented the former president of a Japanese auto parts manufacturer in a sprawling federal criminal antitrust investigation, resulting in no criminal charges or civil penalties against the client
- Represented an investment banker in a federal criminal tax case relating to the client’s alleged underreporting of foreign employment income and foreign bank account report violations over several tax years totaling several million dollars. Obtained a sentence of probation following the client’s guilty plea to one count
- Represented a refinery charged with criminal violations of the federal Clean Air Act during a six-week jury trial. Obtained acquittals on two of four counts, with the two counts of conviction ultimately being reversed on appeal
- Represented a refinery in a grand jury investigation related to possible federal Clean Water Act violations, resulting in no criminal charges
- Represented directors and officers of financial institutions in grand jury and administrative investigations related to bank failures