Trevor Wood is a Partner at Vedder Price and a member of the Finance & Transactions group in the firm’s London office.
Mr. Wood practices in the area of finance law, with an emphasis on emerging markets. He advises on complex secured and unsecured financing matters for clients from many countries and industries, including banks, funds and other financial institutions, mezzanine providers, agents and trustees, and sponsors and borrowers.
Mr. Wood particularly focuses on restructuring, international trade, export and commodity finance, receivable transactions, non-performing loan sale and purchase, real estate finance, leverage and acquisition finance, project finance and general corporate finance. He is currently actively involved in advising on numerous restructurings both in the UK and internationally.
Prior to joining Vedder Price, Mr. Wood served as a partner in the corporate group of an Am Law 100 firm in London. He has been recognized by The Legal 500 UK in Emerging Markets: Finance (2019-2021) and as a Leading Individual in 2016 and 2021.
- The College of Law, London, 1993, first class honours
- London Metropolitan University, LL.B., 1992, first class honours
- Chartered Banker Institute, Associate, 1989
- Ireland, 2019
- Hong Kong, 1998
- England and Wales, 1995
*includes Mr. Wood’s experience while at previous organizations
Restructuring and Non-Performing Loans
- Advised a major U.S. car component manufacturing group during its Chapter 11 workout and restructuring.
- Advised the senior lenders, agent and security trustee on the acquisition and subsequent restructuring of an international plastics film maker.
- Advised lenders on the enforcement of security granted by the Kirch Media Group over shares in the Formula One motor racing series.
- Advised senior lenders in relation to the workout of PrimaCom Management GmbH and the PrimaCom group.
- Advised a home furnishings company during its restructuring.
- Advised lenders (including the IFC) on the restructuring of outstanding debt in relation to the Viktor Lenac shipyard in Croatia.
- Advised a major UK clearing bank on the first significant divestment of a large non-performing loan portfolio in the London market. The sale was made using an spv structure financed by vendors and subsequent securitization.
- Advised investors on the restructuring of a shopping mall securitization.
- Advised on the acquisition of numerous non-performing loan portfolios, particularly in Eastern Europe.
- Advised investors on the restructuring of a hotel securitization.
- Advised lenders on the restructuring of Bulsatcom, a major media company operating in Bulgaria.
- Advised lenders on the restructuring of a major beverage manufacturer in Ukraine.
International Trade, Export and Commodity Finance
- Advised a financial institution and other investors on the purchase of Iraqi and Russian debt claims.
- Advised a Zurich financial institution in relation to certain of its standard form trade finance documentation.
- Advised a major UK clearing bank on the standardisation of its trade finance documentation including the drafting of general terms which will apply to all trade transactions undertaken by the bank for its customers on a global basis.
- Advised lenders in connection with revolving credit facilities and receivables discount facilities made available to a UK yellow goods manufacturer.
- Advised a major European bank on a standard form template for forfaiting.
- Advised a financial institution in relation to certain standby letter of credit facilities.
- Advised lenders in connection with a £29 million ECA facility made available to a Brazilian group of companies.
- Advised a client on a US$1.5 billion pre-export trade finance facility.
- Advised the arranger and other finance parties in connection with an ECA framework facility by which ECA-supported facilities will be made available to a Brazilian group of companies. The first facility in the amount of €12 million made available under the framework was supported by a guarantee provided by SACE.
- Advised a commodities trading house in connection with facilities made available to its clients in respect of certain soft commodity (coffee, soya beans, sugar, etc.) transactions.
- Advised lenders in matters relating to revolving credit facilities and receivables discount facilities made available to a UK digger manufacturer.
- Advised clients in relation to a US$233 million pre-export oil bridge facility made to the Republic of Congo. The facility was guaranteed by the Republic of Congo Ministry of Finance.
- Advised a bank in matters relating to a loan to a group of companies for the acquisition of yellow goods (mining machinery) in five sub-Saharan countries for the purposes of leasing such equipment to local mining companies.
- Advised a major UK clearing bank in connection with its biannual review of the bank’s standard form trade finance documentation.
- Advised lenders in connection with a £29 million ECA facility made available to a Brazilian group of companies. The facility was supported by a guarantee provided by Euler Hermes
- Advised a major UK clearing bank on the standard terms and conditions for all of its trade products offered to its customers by various offices around the world.
Real Estate Finance
- Advised a client in connection with the £620 million commercial syndicated loan facility and £200 million loan facility provided by the Homes and Communities Agency (HCA) in connection with site development.
- Advised a client in connection with the loan facilities for the initial acquisition of a development property in the City of London. The acquisition facility was later refinanced using a combination of an Islamic Master Murabaha and LMA-based mezzanine facility.
- Advised financial institutions in connection with the disposal of £1.2 billion commercial mortgage-backed loans to a joint venture securitization fund.
- Advised a private equity fund in relation to Project Churchill (the sale by Aviva of a £2 billion real estate loan portfolio).
- Advised a client in connection with the restructuring its commercial mortgage- backed securitization comprising £1.06 billion Secured Floating Rate Notes due 2014.
- Advised the servicers with regard to the restructuring of the Tahiti CMBS.
- Advised the Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA) on the financing of the Olympic Village for the 2012 London Olympic Games (and subsequent disposal), which involved a commercial facility and a facility provided by the European Investment Bank (EIB).
Acquisition and Leveraged Finance
- Advised senior and second lien lenders on the financing for the acquisition of the Avon Tyre Group.
- Advised lenders on the financing for the acquisition of the North Buzachi Kazakhstan oilfield.
- Advised lenders on the provision of bridging finance for the acquisition of a funeral business pending a whole business securitization.
- Advised lender on the leveraged financing of the public-to-private acquisition of the Viridian Group (Northern Ireland Electricity).
- Advised a client in respect of a £12 million acquisition facility for PPHE Netherlands B.V. for the purchase of Amalfa Investment B.V., Victory Enterprises II B.V. and Victoria Monument B.V.
- Advised the Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA) on the financing of the Olympic Village for the 2012 London Olympic Games.
- Advised lenders on the financing of the Hong Kong Disneyland theme park.
- Advised a client on the project financing of a new airport terminal at Manila International Airport, Philippines.
- Advised lenders on the project financing of a LECN telecom network roll-out for Smart Communications in the Philippines.
- Advised lenders on the project financing of a number of GSM telecom networks for Globe Telecom in the Philippines.