Public Companies & Director and Officer Liability Vedder Service
We represent public companies and their directors and officers in connection with federal and state government securities investigations and enforcement actions, white collar criminal investigations and internal or special investigations relating to alleged violations of federal securities laws and/or whistleblower allegations, including but not limited to alleged violations of Rule 10b-5, violations of Section 17(a), books and records violations, internal controls violations and related SOX 304(a) clawback claims.
Oftentimes, government securities investigations involve follow-on securities fraud class actions and/or shareholder derivative demands alleging breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, unjust enrichment and other wrongful conduct. We have the capability to defend companies and directors and officers in both federal and state securities and derivative litigation.
- Currently representing the former CFO of large pharmaceutical company in an SEC investigation and related special committee investigation in connection with a financial restatement
- Currently representing a sales executive at a publicly traded automobile manufacturer in parallel SEC and DOJ investigations relating to sales reporting practices
- Currently representing a telecom company in an SEC investigation following a self-report to the SEC
- Successfully represented one of the largest non-traded real estate investment trusts and various of its officers and directors in connection with an SEC securities fraud investigation and related whistleblower allegations and follow-on special litigation committee investigation, securities class action and shareholder derivative litigation resulting in the closure of the SEC investigation without action and dismissal of all litigation pursuant to settlement
- Successfully represented the former Chairman and CEO of a large consulting company in SEC investigation in connection with a financial restatement and related SOX 304(a) clawback claims and successfully convinced the SEC not to pursue individual enforcement action
- Successfully represented a large brand production company in an SEC investigation in connection with a financial restatement and resulting Wells process and successfully convinced the SEC not to pursue enforcement action
- Successfully represented the former CEO of a logistics company in an SEC investigation in connection with a financial restatement involving the accounting treatment for rebates and successfully negotiated settlement regarding SOX 304(a) clawback claims
- Successfully represented four individuals in an SEC investigation and administrative proceeding against former CEO of a public company involving accounting fraud
- Routinely represent public companies in connection with insider trading inquiries and investigations by the SEC or FINRA
- Routinely conduct internal investigations on behalf of public companies