Health Care Regulatory Defense Vedder Service
We have substantial experience litigating, investigating and advising on highly complex civil and criminal health care fraud matters.
Vedder Price has substantial experience litigating, investigating and advising on highly complex civil and criminal health care fraud matters, including those involving alleged violations of the federal Anti-Kickback Statute, the Stark Law, the False Claims Act, and the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act, among others.
With seasoned former federal health care fraud prosecutors on our bench, we provide unique insight into the government’s perspective on these matters, and bring a high level of credibility to dealings with regulatory and enforcement agencies at all governmental levels. Our defense team also draws on this deep experience in handling a broad array of health care enforcement and related matters, including defending criminal and civil government health care fraud investigations, responding to grand jury and administrative subpoenas and search warrants, defending False Claims Act and whistleblower/qui tam litigation, conducting internal investigations and assisting in voluntary disclosures, and providing counseling regarding fraud and abuse laws and compliance programs.
Our team has experience representing clients in matters relating to the following:
- Defending companies and individuals under investigation and charged in federal criminal fraud matters
- Defending health care providers, companies and executives in civil False Claims Act and criminal fraud matters
- Defending government contractors in civil False Claims Act and criminal fraud matters
- Representation of a senior pharmaceutical executive in connection with internal and enforcement agency investigations of the company’s financial reporting and accounting practices
- Representing the former chief executive of a surgical specialty hospital in a civil False Claims Act case related to alleged improper financial arrangements with physician-owners and related DOJ and state government investigations
- Representing various employees of a fertility treatment specialty practice in connection with an ongoing criminal health care fraud investigation
- Representing numerous employees of various national hospital systems and other health care providers as third-parties in connection with grand jury investigations and criminal trials related to alleged health care fraud
- Representing a national hospital system and its employees as witnesses in a grand jury investigation and trial of a transportation provider on federal health care fraud charges
- Representing the former chief medical officer of a hospital in connection with a grand jury investigation into possible federal health care fraud offenses
- Representing a third-party investment advisor in federal criminal forfeiture proceedings against one of its former clients following his conviction for federal health care fraud offenses
- Served as coordinating counsel in a complex healthcare litigation involving multiple state and federal proceedings. The cases ran the gamut from receivership issues to bankruptcy proceedings, applications for collateral relief to appellate proceedings. All of them involved a wide variety of healthcare, long-term care, corporate, regulatory and other matters, as well as several judgments collectively exceeding one billion dollars
- Represented a senior pharmaceutical executive in connection with internal and enforcement agency investigations of the company’s financial reporting and accounting practices
- Represented a medical billing company and its president in a civil False Claims Act qui tam lawsuit
- Represented the former president of a Japanese auto parts manufacturer in a sprawling federal criminal antitrust investigation, resulting in no criminal charges or civil penalties against the client
- Represented an investment banker in a federal criminal tax case relating to the client’s alleged underreporting of foreign employment income and foreign bank account report violations over several tax years totaling several million dollars. Obtained a sentence of probation following the client’s guilty plea to one count
- Represented a refinery charged with criminal violations of the federal Clean Air Act during a six-week jury trial. Obtained acquittals on two of four counts, with the two counts of conviction ultimately being reversed on appeal
- Represented a refinery in a grand jury investigation related to possible federal Clean Water Act violations, resulting in no criminal charges
- Represented directors and officers of financial institutions in grand jury and administrative investigations related to bank failures