Vedder Thinking | Events Defensible Due Diligence for Investment Advisers and Hedge Funds
June 21, 2011
Speaker: Joseph M. Mannon of Vedder Price will be speaking on Defensible Due Diligence for Investment Advisers and Hedge Fundsin a Webinar for National Regulatory Services.
Date and Time: June 21, 2011, 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. (ET)
Description: Recent scandals and market events have created a call for increased liability for those who are trusted to undertake due diligence for investors in the selection investment managers and hedge funds. Defensible due diligence standards continue to evolve to meet higher expectations of both regulators and investors. There is no bright line rule defining the right policy for your firm. The panel will provide practical advice about specific compliance steps to meet these evolving standards for effective risk management.
After attending this course, attendees should be able to:
- Identify key elements of effective and defensible due diligence for alternative investments and outside managers
- Apply lessons learned from review of SEC enforcement and examination activity
- Avoid key traps when performing due diligence
- Identify certain conflicts and other red flags that trigger the use of additional procedures
- Determine when to consider use of external resources
- Enumerate the questions you need to ask and perform effective on-site visits
- Conduct operational, risk management and compliance reviews
- Assess firm management and organization
- Conduct background checks
- Develop risk assessments and procedures to detect potential fraud
- Conduct ongoing monitoring
For Whom: Chief Compliance Officers, Internal auditors, Compliance Staff at all levels, Marketing personnel, Legal counsel, Management
Suggested Skill Level: Intermediate
Instructional Method: Group Internet-Based Live
Pre-requisites for participation: No prerequisites are required.
Continuing Education Credits:
See NRS Continuing Education Guide
Recommended CPE Credit: 2