Consistently ranked among leading law firms, Vedder Price represents owners, tenants, lenders, borrowers, developers, investors and many others nationally in a variety of real estate, construction and land use matters.
You can expect to work with highly skilled attorneys who have the combination of experience and business acumen necessary to handle any transaction efficiently and effectively.
Broad real estate credentials. We work with many leading Fortune 500 companies, for-profit and not-for-profit owners, developers, investors, lenders, property managers, brokers, landlords, tenants, architects, engineers, contractors, subcontractors, consultants, municipal agencies, and public and private corporations.
Our industry experience encompasses both public and private markets across diverse sectors, with significant capabilities related to manufacturing companies, big-box retailers, hospitality developers and operators, professional services companies, financial institutions, gaming owners and operators, and distressed acquisitions.
Moreover, our experience extends globally, including numerous cross-border transactions involving real estate in Canada, Mexico, Europe and Asia.
Learn more about our areas of focus.
Our attorneys regularly handle acquisitions and dispositions of all types of real estate on a national basis, including stand-alone transactions, portfolio transactions and transactions that are part of mergers and acquisitions. In addition to conventional sales and purchases, we have significant experience with sales/leaseback transactions and seller financing vehicles such as installment contracts and ground leases.
Our real estate and tax attorneys work closely together to structure tax-advantaged dispositions and restructure ownership entities. We understand and have significant depth with respect to all types of tax-deferred exchanges, including reverse exchanges, new construction transactions, partnership transactions and tenant-in-common structures that accompany many replacement property transactions.
Having represented both landlords and tenants in office, industrial and retail leases ranging from 2,000 to 3,000,000+ rental square feet (RSF), we have strong national capabilities. Our attorneys often negotiate international headquarters leases on behalf of Fortune 500 and large, privately held companies. Additionally, we represent clients in ground leases, sale/leasebacks and other leveraged lease transactions.
We regularly represent Fortune 500 companies, developers and privately held companies with a wide variety of land use and development entitlements and governmental financial assistance programs, including:
- All land use approvals, including rezoning, planned unit development, special use, variations and exceptions
- Annexation, subdivision, street/alley vacation, stormwater management issues, impact fees and other exactions
- Governmental financial incentives for expansion, relocation and redevelopment of properties
In addition, our attorneys:
- Provide governmental relations and lobbying assistance
- Structure innovative master plans, ordinances and agreements
- Support land use and zoning due diligence in refinancings, purchases and foreclosures
- Counsel on relevant laws and regulations, such as the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 or state acts such as the Illinois Environmental Barriers Act
- Assist with other community relations and outreach
Our attorneys represent financial institutions and private parties in a variety of real estate finance transactions involving a wide array of properties. Our experience includes:
- First mortgage loans
- Subordinate loans
- Intercreditor agreements
- Leasehold mortgages
- Taxable and tax-exempt bond financing
- Construction financing
- Leveraged leases and ground leases
- Installment contracts and other seller financing
- Combined real estate and asset-based financing
- Government-subsidized housing and low-income tax credits
- Workouts, restructurings, note sales or purchases, foreclosures and bankruptcy issues
We have substantial experience prosecuting and defending many types of real estate disputes, including:
- Mortgage loan foreclosures and workouts
- Bankruptcy issues
- Tenant evictions and other landlord enforcement actions
- Mechanic’s lien claims and other construction disputes
- Warranty claims for defective construction
- Broker lien and compensation claims
- Partnership and other intraowner disputes and partition actions
- Construction contracts for owners and tenants
- Architect’s and engineer’s contracts
- Materials purchase orders including co-ops
- Dispute resolution – mediation, arbitration and litigation
- Mechanics' lien issues – title clearance, settlement, sworn statement and lien waiver analysis
We provide comprehensive legal services to organizations involved in the construction industry—supporting both the array of project-related legal decisions as well as conflicts and claims arising during commercial, industrial and multi-unit high-end residential projects. With deep construction industry experience and perspectives on the unique legal issues that may arise during the course of a project, we can assist with:
- Acquisitions and sales, including deal structuring and financing
- Zoning and land use and development of commercial, industrial and residential properties
- Tax and financial enhancements and incentives
- Leases and subleases
- Planning and architectural drafting
- Bidding and estimating
- EPC contracts
- Negotiation of government and international engineering, procurement and construction contracts
- Litigation cases sounding in fraud, errors and omissions
- Mechanics’ liens claims
- Environmental issues
- OSHA citations and suits involving accidents or fatalities on construction projects
- Disputes over delays and construction defects