Steven L. Hamann joined Vedder Price in 2000 as a Shareholder and is a member of the firm’s Labor and Employment practice area. Prior to entering private practice, Mr. Hamann spent more than ten years in human resources departments at Bechtel and Detroit Edison Company with responsibility for a wide variety of issues affecting unionized and non-union employees.
Mr. Hamann counsels and defends employers in a broad range of industries on labor and employment law and litigation matters, including employment discrimination, racial and sexual harassment, retaliatory discharge, worker’s compensation retaliation, and breach of employment contract.
He also represents management in union organizing campaigns, labor negotiations and grievance and arbitration proceedings. Significant responsibilities include:
- Representing management in daily interface with local and international union representatives concerning grievances, jurisdictional disputes, and management rights issues.
- Interpreting and applying collective bargaining agreements. Advising management of current and anticipated labor problems.
- Coordinating with responsible client and utility management personnel on labor related matters. Representing management’s interests in dealing with government agencies, e.g., NLRB, EEOC.
- Negotiating labor agreements.
- Coordinating with contractor associates during negotiations.
Mr. Hamann received a "BV Distinguished" Peer Rating in Martindale-Hubbell.
Mr. Hamann is a member of the Chicago Bar Association and the Labor and Employment Law Section of the American Bar Association.